Sunday, June 25, 2023

Recreation Plan and Hammond Park Plan of Management

 

Inner West Council is currently consulting on
 
* 5 year Plan of Management for Hammond Park, Ashfield https://yoursay.innerwest.nsw.gov.au/hammondpark

May be an image of 2 people, Angel Oak tree and grass
Playground
No photo description available.No photo description available.
Simple Change of Signage from Male/Female to Unisex
 
Organised Sport needs are articulated and funded but the RECREATION NEEDs of the majority of the population who do not participate in organised sport are often forgotten. 
In 2021/22 41% of Australians [aged 15+] participate in a sport-related activity at least once a week.https://www.clearinghouseforsport.gov.au/participation-in-sport Leaving 59% to find some other kind of recreation.
 
 
 
May be an image of 2 people, frisbee, grass and tree
Honing Ball skills

For Women the most popular sport-related activities with estimated participants Source: https://www.clearinghouseforsport.gov.au/kb/women-in-sport
 
Girls aged 0-14
Swimming - 942,000
Gymnastics - 415,000
Netball - 293,000
Football/Soccer - 237,000
Basketball - 154,000
 
Young Adult aged 15-24
Running/Athletics - 320,000
Netball - 291,000
Swimming - 271,000
Basketball - 153,000
Football/Soccer - 151,000
May be an image of 2 people, people playing football, people playing American football and grass
Throwing Hoops
 
Adult aged 25-54
Running/Athletics - 1,138,000
Swimming - 1,135,000
Cycling - 668,000
Netball - 322,000
Tennis - 285,000
 
Mature Adult aged 55+
Swimming - 660,000
Cycling - 335,000
Running/Athletics - 186,000
Golf - 177,000
Tennis - 159,000
 
 
It was good to hear locals explain the features of Hammond Park, their neighbourhood park. 
 
No photo description available.
Ashfield Pirates cool little food truck!
May be an image of text
Heritage Home and Visitors Change Rooms
The single cubicle toilets are actually UNISEX and the little building include Home and Visitor Change Rooms as well as a store room.
 
 
This neighbourhood park currently has a variety of visitors on Sundays to hone personal football skills, through a few hoops to train your eye and just run to your hearts delight in the sun. 
 
There are lots of residents in surrounding Units who rely on the open space. It would be nice if residents of the Aged Care could visit the park too.
 
The birds and wildlife also enjoy the park along with frisby throwers, people boosting their vitamin D or Kite flying.
 
May be an image of 1 person, playing football, playing American football, frisbee and grass
Doing Laps
There are early morning Tai Chi regulars and afternoon Martial Arts practice. The fence along Frederick St and Netball Hoop are new additions.
 
May be an image of street, road and text
Raised Pedestrian Crossing Needed
Dropping the speed limit on Frederick St further and Raising the Henry St crossing would make it safer for those walking and cycling to the park.
Making Lucy St one way with Knocklade St, reducing the speed to 30k and maybe introducing parking along the park (including Disabled Parking) are possibilities for improving traffic management. 
 
 

 
Make a submission on both by Monday 24 July 2023
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question on Notice: Response to Climate Emergency Inner West and Inner West Council Footpath Program

Council Meeting 21 May 2024 Item No:      C0524(1) Item 60 Subject: Question on Notice: Response to Climate Emergency Inner West...