Recision Motion Leichhardt Park Plan of Management (adopted 11 November 2020)
Skate Park is in the wrong place and there will be a further loss of greenspace should the new rowing facility proceed at 16 in Zone 1.
Skate Plaza in Zone 4
Zone 4: "06. Proposed location for Lilyfield Skate Plaza."
New Rowing Facility in Zone 1
01 . Option to relocate a segment of the Maliyawul Street Car Park to Peace Park to consolidate and increase public open green space within Leichhardt Park. Ensure that
there is no loss of the existing car parking capacity. Relocate 24 existing car spaces, with the addition of 2 new car spaces.
Establish an area of new public open green space adjacent Leichhardt #3 that can be used for sports warm-up, spectating, dog
walking and general passive recreation.
Service vehicle access can be permitted from northern end of Maliyawul Street for maintenance or emergency purposes. Note: this
proposal will not occur should the community rowing club proposal proceed at the location indicated (Zone 1, 16).
There were a number of individual emails received from organisations or residents. Generally,
the responses were regarding strong support for the synthetic turf at Leichhardt Oval 2 and
strong opposition to the Para Rowing Club.
- The main reasons the responses supported the synthetic turf were due to the increased usage of the fields, reduced water use in irrigation, management of maintenance and favourable playing surface for consistency and quality.
- The main reasons the responses were opposed to the Para Rowing facility was due to the existing green space on the foreshore being disrupted by a third rowing club which can reach two storeys in height.
Officer comments in response to public
In response to the feedback received from the community, the following amendments have been
made to the Plan of Management and Master Plan.
1. Rowing facility has been included as a permissible use under the long term lease and
short term licence section of Leasing and Licencing
2. Confirmation that the link road between Leichhardt Park Aquatic Centre and Leichhardt
Oval 3 will be one way from Leichhardt Park Aquatic Centre.
3. Change from Para Rowing facility to being of ‘exceptional’ ecological standards to ‘high’
ecological standards. Source: Community Engagement Report https://yoursay.innerwest.nsw.gov.au/46797/widgets/250073/documents/188803/download
|02. Install a synthetic playing field to Leichhardt #2 to increase the capacity of Leichhardt #2 for organised sports by allowing for year round all-weather play.|
LPAC Plan of Mgmt downloaded 29 Nov 2020: https://www.innerwest.nsw.gov.au/ArticleDocuments/945/Leichhardt%20Park%20Plan%20of%20Management.pdf.aspx