Open letter to Prime Minister Scott Morrison – #NobodyLeftBehind
a) The Refugee Council’s Open letter to Prime Minister Scott Morrison – Nobody Left Behind; and
b) The letter of support being co-ordinated by the Local Government Mayoral Taskforce Supporting People Seeking Asylum.
2. Add a link to Council’s website for the Asylum Seeker’s Centre’s media release of support for the open letter and Plea for the Government to provide a safety net for everyone – including people seeking asylum.
9 June, Inner West Council Resolved to provide grants to 10 Inner West
NGOS and Charities including the Asylum Seekers Center and the Addison
Road Community Centre who were supporting Refugees during the COVID-19
THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT MAYORAL TASKFORCE FOR PEOPLE SEEKING ASYLUM TO ADVOCATE AGAINST THE SRSS CUTS.
- Council writes to the Prime Minister and to the Federal Minister of Home Affairs asking the Federal Government to reverse cuts to the Status Resolution Support Services (SRSS) program and highlighting the unfair and devastating impact of these cuts on people seeking asylum and the Inner West community’s disagreement with these cuts;
- Council writes to the Premier of New South Wales asking her to make representation to both the Prime Minister and the Federal Minister of Home Affairs to highlight the devastating impact of these cuts on the NSW community and to reverse the cuts;
- Members of Parliaments for the seats of Balmain, Heffron, Newtown, Strathfield, Summer Hill and Grayndler; New South Wales Senators; and Members of the NSW Legislative Council are informed of Council’s position;
- Other NSW Councils are contacted seeking their support for joint advocacy on this issue;
- Council publicises practical way members of the Inner West Community can work with the Asylum Seekers Centre in Newtown to support people seeking asylum (https://www.innerwest.nsw.gov.au/live/community-well-being/migrant-support-services)
- Council considers practical ways of supporting people seeking asylum; and
- Council works with the Asylum Seekers Centre in Newtown to organise a civic leaders meetings with community leaders in the Inner West. The meeting will discuss ways the community can collectively address the challenges lying ahead for people seeking asylum.
- Endorse the Joint Statement against changes to the Status Resolution Support Service as formulated by Councils that attended the Mayoral Roundtable held in Dandenong, Victoria on 31 July 2018 shown at Appendix 2;
- Join the Local Government Mayoral Taskforce Supporting People Seeking Asylum as a General Member
- Endorse the Back Your Neighbour Campaign run by the Taskforce and
- Nominated me as the Inner West Council contact(s) to the taskforce