Mining Sleuce with Riffle Base
This was on the verge for most of January 2020. First dumped outside the North Annandale, then migrating to the Annandale Shops. On 23 January, I finally succumbed and took it home.
Puzzled by what it was, I sought the help of the facebook group StreetbountyInnerWest
The group came up with four leads.
"After the soil of a hillside was turned into a slurry with water, it waschannelled down the hill into sluice boxes, where minerals were caught on “riffles” in the boxes."...https://maas.museum/changing-landscapes-mining-and-rural-infrastructure/
- Riffles are the timber battons across the base of the box https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riffle
- Placer Mining https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placer_mining
- How to use a Sleuce https://www.911metallurgist.com/blog/how-to-use-a-sluice-box
- A rocker box (also known as a cradle). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocker_box
- Gold washing cradle used in the Ophir goldfields https://collection.maas.museum/object/253784
- Hargraves Cradle – Used to Make Australia’s First Payable Discovery of Gold https://maas.museum/inside-the-collection/2012/09/26/hargraves-cradle-used-to-make-australias-first-payable-discovery-of-gold/
Gold Mining Links to Annandale
- "John Otto Weine (Dutch)was a bullock driver on the gold fields."... https://ramin.com.au/annandale/story-74b-trafalgar-street.shtml#weine
- Stanley Jevons http://ramin.com.au/walks/50s-Annandale-A-Short-Walk.shtml