What could be...Marrickville Golf Course and Greenway
|Lane Cove Pennant Team Bayview, 26 Feb 2016|
As someone who made a point of playing in the 18 hole women's competition while I still had my golf handicap Lane Cove golf club at the start of my election campaign. I have since, given up my club membership and associated handicap insurance etc and have not had the chance to play much golf.
I have walked through the golf course (without golf sticks) on at least three occasions - to check out the community consultation which was held there. to the community meeting and to a Greenway briefing (the Greenway starts at the far end of the golf course.
The clubhouse is different to the golf course. The Club house is not part of the masterplan - that is a lease between the state and the club.
|Marrickville Golf Course, Cook's River|
The Marrickville Golf Course is currently managed by the Golf Club on a lease from Inner West Council across land with various ownership.
Water is a big issue for the Marrickville Golf Course which used water from the Dibble water hole. However, this ran out and the banks became unsafe. Sea level rise may also be a factor - the water became brackish in the water hole, there is also inundation of the course. There is a lot of bushcare activities around the golf course and the waterhole.
- Dibble Avenue Waterhole: biodiversity: https://www.bush-it.com.au/public/bushland_dibble_avenue_waterhole.html
- Dibble Avenue Waterhole: Building with 100 people threatens to collapse in Sydney https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/inner-west/building-with-100-people-threatens-to-collapse-in-sydney/news-story/351b2e87048edaaa2737bec3216aa9dc
|Start of Greenway at Cook's River and Marrickville Golf Course|
So, I think we do need to find the right balance and work with the land and location - it may be that we could create a nature reserve for biodiversity, wetlands, walkways, cyclepaths, support the mangroves, create park spaces for picnics and kids to learn to ride bikes.
- After years of planning and construction Croydon’s Wangal Park will open on Friday https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/inner-west/after-years-of-planning-and-construction-croydons-wangal-park-will-open-on-friday/news-story/25c03da6a3cb40be5fe480fb97b687bb
- Long neck turtles number grow in Annandale thanks to volunteers https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/inner-west/long-neck-turtles-now-a-regular-site-in-whites-creek-valley-park-in-annandale/news-story/194f8054408582c003e6a08b302cd671
- Hyde Park Perth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Park,_Perth
- Kings Park Perth https://www.bgpa.wa.gov.au/kings-park
- Tour of Sydney Park kids cycling playground https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c1on6O95Qs
- Artificial Turf https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_turf
Marrickville Parklands including golf course draft plans
BackgroundDuring May and June 2018 Inner West Council completed community engagement on the current use and future vision for the Marrickville Golf Course and the Dibble Avenue Waterhole, an important wildlife habitat which has been used by the Golf Course since the 1940s for irrigation.
What is happening now?The feedback we received has been used to develop a draft Plan of Management (POM) and a Master Plan.
The Plan of Management covers leases, licences and use of the land
The Master Plan outlines a vision and actions for improvement over ten years
The Master Plan has two options for the future use of Marrickville Parklands including golf course.
- Option A: Maintain the golf course at 18 holes with upgraded parklands.
- Option B: After five years transform the course to 9 holes with upgraded parklands and additional community open space. This is the recommended option in the draft Plan of Management.
|Eastern Long Necked Turtle, White's Creek Wetlands|
|Eco-Community Centre, White's Creek Valley, Lilyfield|
|Lighting and Toilets, Paths (Bay Run, Lilyfield)|
|Buruwan Park, Annandale|
|Buruwan Park, Annandale|
|Turpentine, Victoria Park, Broadway|
|Rozelle Bay Community Native Nursery and White's Creek Wetlands, Annandale|
|Greenway (between Parramatta Road and Marion St), Leichhardt|
|Performance, Woolahra Town Hall|